9.23.2008

TWD: Dimply Plum Cake

YUM!!!!!!!!!

Wow!!! This was so much better than I would ever have imagined! This is another one of those times when I am very grateful to belong to this group- I don't think I would have made this recipe without a little nudging. Boy am I glad (and so is everyone else that ate it) that I did!!

Big thanks to Michelle of Bake-en for this selection. This was a great diversion from all of the delicious cookies this past week and has become an instant classic/favorite of ours.


Before!                                       After!             

I made this with 8 Italian plum/prunes, which just happened to be on sale and the total cost was less than $1 which was an enormous score given the usually skyrocketing prices of produce. The only change I made to the recipe was not using the cardamon (because I didn't have any) but I would like to try it for the next time. Everything about the cake was so perfect- the plums were outrageous. The cooking time was off by about 10 minutes though and I'm guessing that may be because of the dish I baked the cake in. Either way, it was really, really delicious!!!! We managed to save some for the next day just to see how the taste would change. It was still really delicious. I can't wait to run out and get some of those Italian plums again!

I'll be taking off next week because I will be at my alma mater cheering on my Nittany Lions along with 110,000 of my closest friends but I am looking forward to seeing how the creme brulee comes out!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was nice having an inexpensive recipe this week, after all the chocolate last week. How great to find a new classic for yourself!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until you make this again honey, it was delicious!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Look at you with 16 plum halves on your cake - pat yourself on the back! I feel EXACTLY the same way as you do - never would have made it and now am madly in love with this cake. Procure some cardamom with the savings on your produce and put it in next time.
Nancy

Unknown said...

I could have written this post as I also used the prune plums (because they were cheap!) and skipped the cardamom. Your cake looks great!

Cathy said...

I love your before and after pictures! What a coup on the plums -- and it looks like you got some good ones, too! Glad you enjoyed this!

Engineer Baker said...

I'm glad you two both liked it so much - it looks wonderful!

Pamela said...

I agree with you. This one would have never gotten a second look without TWD to push me along. Great job. We really enjoyed it, too.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks beautiful! I'm not a big fan of plums but perhaps having them nestled and baked in some sweet batter may change my mind :)

Bungalow Barbara said...

Glad you liked this cake -- yours looks wonderful! Those little Italian prune plums are so cute!